ZANACO Football Club has written the Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) general secretary George Kasengele questioning the clearance of midfielder Stoppila Sunzu to Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) TP Mazembe.
According to a letter dated February 19, 2009 and obtained by The Post yesterday, Sunzu signed a two-year contract with Zanaco running to December 7, 2011.
The letter, signed by Zanaco club secretary Jordan Maliti and addressed to Kasengele, states that Sunzu, who signed the contract with Zanaco on December 12, 2009, commenced training with the FAZ Super Division side prior to joining Chipolopolo's Africa Cup of Nations residential camp.
"We would like to find out through your good office how player Stoppira Sunzu was cleared to go to TP Mazembe when he has a running contract with Zanaco FC? The player came to Zanaco as a free agent after his contract was terminated at Chateauroux in France and expressed his desire to join our team.
We agreed his personal terms and he signed a contract," Maliti stated in his letter copied to his chairman David Kaunda, the FAZ player status committee and National Sports Council of Zambia chairman Chifumu Banda.
"We sadly learnt through print and electronic media that he had been transferred to TP Mazembe and your press and communication manager Erick Mwanza is on record having said that he will contact Zanaco FC, which to date, has not materialised."
Maliti states that the club wanted clarification on how the International Transfer Certificate (ITC) was processed.
"We therefore seek your clarification upon whose request and how the ITC was processed without the involvement of Zanaco FC who have a legally binding contract with the player."
Efforts to get Maliti proved futile as his mobile phone was switched off.
Zanaco FC David Kaunda said he would not comment on the matter.
"We are not commenting on that matter. Check with FAZ, if there is a letter you will find it there," he said.
But Kasengele confirmed that the association was in receipt of the Zanaco letter.
"Yes, we received the letter but you need to understand the background. He was loaned from Afrisport to Chateauroux. The loan means after Chateauroux, he is still Afrisport. He came back as Afrisport player," he said.
"If Afrisport have sold him to TP Mazembe, they are within their rights."
However, Kasengele said Afrisport director Gabriel Kaunda would be in the best position to give details of the TP Mazembe deal.
He said FAZ was not involved in player transfers.
Kasengele said the ITC to Chateauroux was on a loan basis.
Kaunda said Zanaco wanted Sunzu to help them for the 2010 continental games.
"I didn't want him to play for a local club when he came back. Zanaco wanted him because he was training with them. I asked them to write so he could play for a year. I had other clubs outside the country that I wanted him to go to," he said.
Kaunda said Sunzu called him from Zimbabwe that Zanaco wanted him to sign a contract.
"He told me that a Zanaco official had told him that they had spoken to me. But we never discussed anything with Zanaco. I was waiting for Zanaco to write to me for the 2010 contract. He was not going to any local club after this year," he said.
Kaunda said he did not know about Sunzu being a free agent.
"These guys can at times wink them players, its very unfortunate," Kaunda said.
Kaunda accused Zanaco of duping Sunzu into signing a contract.
"This is between clubs and not FAZ. He Sunzu was duped. What value do they Zanaco have on him," he asked.
On February 11, 2010, Gabriel Kaunda expressed ignorance that Sunzu had signed a contract with either Zanaco or TP Mazembe.
In the same interview, Kaunda confirmed having been approached by Zanaco for Sunzu's signature to which he suggested should be considered after the Africa Cup of Nations.
Sunzu joined Mazembe shortly after the Africa Cup of Nations in Angola in January.
- Nurses taste own medicine
- Kaseba comforts Chellah over mother death
- Sata to bring light
- Chirwa threatens to renounce his Zambian citizenship
- Chirwa denounces Kapeya, Atanga
- SATA DECLARES 7- DAY NATIONAL MOURNING FOR MANDELA
- Chambishi Mine sends 500 home
- Nevers mourns Chikusu
- Scott exalts MMD,UPND MPs in govt
- Bwalya pleads for dismissed nurses